Sunday, November 1

Hactivism

To me, the recent and most astounding case of hactivism comes from Sweden, where in the year 2006, Pirate Party was formed.

I remember visiting the site myself, when first news about the possible shutdown of Pirate Bay started to appear. At that time the project seemed to be a geek-thing and I didn't take it seriously. Then again - the tought of a torrent-search site out of Western Europe (and US) being taken down was at that time ludacris to me (so-called law-brakers were the sharers not the platfrom).

Apparently this ludacris-to-realisation has greatly affected Pirate Party which now is the third biggest party in Sweden. Also they have a member in the European Parliament and basically all of the politics in Sweden now understand for the need to change the copyright laws (some of them even support Pirate Party principles).

Another interesting affect from the creation of Pirate Party is the idea-spread - you can see from this map that almost every significant developed country in the world has now a Pirate Party or at least an initiative.

To me, that is a great example of "clean" hactivism.

No comments:

Post a Comment