Thursday, February 4

BoW Review

Battle of Wesnoth as a game is not so new to me. Although I hadn’t played the specific one yet, I do have a multitude of favourites in the real time strategy field, whether it be Age Of Empires (best franchise ever!), Age of Mythology series or some Star Wars RTS games.

What is new to me however, is the campaign creating. When I played AoE, I many times wanted to create my own campaigns, but I can’t remember currently why I didn’t. Maybe there are some limitations (after all – not a open source game.. khm Microsoft :D) or I just didn’t have enough time.

However what I did do, was map creating. At one time a had an identical map of Hiiumaa in AoE not to mention the many battles over Peipsi Lake, which I created and repeatedly bullied eastern-neighbors.

Although BoW is not exactly eye-candy compared to AoE, the bigger upset for me is the step-by-step gaming. I am used to real-time action, meaning the troops move and engage in battles like in real-life, but as in BoW the battles are more do-si-do, meaning hit by hit.

All in all I have to say still, that it’s a great accomplishment for a voluntary community.

I post a little picture of my lost battle too (sadly there were many :)) -

BoW

No comments:

Post a Comment